W3C Valid XHTML logo
W3C Valid CSS logo
Website by
Zig Website Design Logo
1 User Online.

Local Photos Of The Holsworthy Area.

Photos of Yesteryear

click any image to enlarge
Holsworthy Bandstand
A gathering at the bandstand that was situated in Stanhope Park.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Holsworthy Bandstand
Holsworthy Square circa 1940s
Holsworthy Square circa 1940s
Holsworthy Square circa 1940s. I am informed that this would have been the late 40's or early 50's as there would not have been so many cars during the war years.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Holsworthy Square circa 1880s
Holsworthy Square circa 1880s.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Holsworthy Square circa 1880s
Stanhope Hotel pre 1878
Stanhope Hotel pre 1878
Stanhope Hotel before the rebuild in 1878.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Derriton Viaduct Under Construction
This was an entirely new construction method for an undertaking of this size at that time.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Derriton Viaduct Under Construction
The Windmill at Knapps Hill
The Windmill at Knapps Hill
This was declared derelict and demolished in 1890.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Stanhope Square and the Hosworthy Tree
Showing the Holsworthy tree under which justice was dispensed.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Stanhope Square and the Hosworthy Tree
The Holsworthy Tree
The Holsworthy Tree
A view of the Holsworthy Tree looking down Chapel Street.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Holsworthy Station
A view of railway staff and families on the platform and pannier tank locomotive no 320.
Photo courtesy of Holsworthy Museum
Holsworthy Station
Cann Medlands Garage 1935
Cann Medlands Garage 1935
Just after the takeover by Cann-Medland in 1935 from J Parberry, previously Spicer and Parberry. Shell petrol cost 1s-6d a gallon. Car JY 2485 is an Austin 10, car CV 5561 is a Morris Cowley.
Photo courtesy of Liz Curtis
Cann Medlands Garage circa 1950
Circa 1950. A new as yet unregistered A40 Devon stands outside the showroom at the front of the building.
Photo courtesy of Liz Curtis
Cann Medlands Garage circa 1950
Bert Holman Blacksmith at Pyworthy
Bert Holman Blacksmith at Pyworthy
At work in his forge in the early 1960's
Photo courtesy of Charles Cornish

Photos digitally retouched and enhanced by Tony Hart